I am not ashamed to admit the following story to be true. Hold nose it will be a smelly ride.
Housecleaning has been on the back burner lately. I've run the dishwasher everyday but never had the dishes completely finished. What I didn't want to wash by hand just sat in the sick for days. Occasionally the floors would get picked up, swept or vacuumed but after 5 minutes the tornadoes would come through and I just didn't want to have teaching moments on cleaning and its importantce.
For several days I knew that all the garbages needed to be taken out but kept putting it off. Well it was getting so aromatic that you could smell the bathroom from the bottom of the stairs and the kitchen smelled because of garbage. Here is what finally motivated me to quit procrastinating.
We've had some warm weather lately. My bedroom receives direct sunlight most of the day. So by nighttime it is quite warm in the room. I went to bed before Steven. A few hours later when he came to bed I woke up and asked him to put the fan in the window because just having the window open wasn't enough to cool the room down. He did and shut the door to the bedroom. Well in the middle of the night I got up for a potty break. Went out into the hallway and thought "Man it is hot." I decided to leave the bedroom door open. Well the rest of the night I could smell all those diapers and pull-ups etc. because of the breeze floating through the house.
First thing I did after getting everyone out the door in the morning was to go around and gather garbage. I had a big 13 gallon bag filled with just the upstairs garbage. I went into all the bedrooms and gathered up diapers and pull-ups. It is utterly ridiculous and disgusting that I let it get so bad. I took out 3 bags of garbage. And I washed up all the left over dishes. My home smells like it should now. It didn't hurt that I baked some bread too.
You may be wondering why Steven didn't take of the garbage or my boys, well...I didn't feel like dealing with the boys. And Steven has not been around lately to do anything besides eat dinner with us (if we are lucky) and sleep his few precious hours of sleep each night. We are looking forward to next Wednesday when his class work will be finished.
To finish the story...for about 2 days now I still smell the potty smell and I haven't been able to figure out where the mysterious odor is coming from. Well I finally found it. We have a potty chair (no-one is potty training) that the kids use as a step stool. Well someone has been going potty in the seat (thank heavens it wasn't #2). Needless to say it is in the tub filled with clorox. I am going to take the chair apart so no one can have that as an option as a toilet. If you think my house couldn't be as bad as that well let me tell you it was to the point of being quaratined for being uninhabitable.
3 comments:
I understand your predicament completely. My home has gotten into those type of serious straits far too many times for a self-respecting homemaker to admit to! I guess I am not so self-respecting!!
It is so hard to clean when you're pregnant. I remember all too well what a wreck my house was!
I am sorry, it does sound like you are pregnant. I hated cleaning bathrooms when I was pregnant. You are brave to admit you are normal, and I appreciate you being the one sharing the experience, brings back lots of memories. I only wish I were close so I could come and help you, so move to Boise, and I can:)
Post a Comment